Ovingdean Hall Foundation has grown out of Ovingdean Hall School for Deaf Children, retaining the school’s charitable objects and charity number. Very sadly, the school closed in 2010 as a result of declining pupil numbers. If you are a former student or staff member and would like to stay in touch, please sign up for our Newsletters. Please Contact Us to sign up for Newsletters. In 2013, we contributed toward Ovingdean Reunion Association’s event which was attended by over 200 former staff and students.
History of Ovingdean Hall School
Our school for deaf children was based at Ovingdean Hall near Brighton (pictured left) from 1948 until 2010. During that time, the school’s dedicated teams of teachers and carers educated generations of deaf children and young people.
The school’s history goes back even further: Brighton Institute for the Deaf opened in Kemp Town, Brighton in 1841. The first headmaster William Sleight (1819-1912) led the school for 72 years. The school’s original home was 12 Egremont Place, Brighton, before moving to 127-132 Eastern Road, Brighton in 1848. During World War II the school was evacuated away from the coast to Wivelsfield Green Farm in Sussex.
In 1948, the school moved to Ovingdean Hall, a Georgian manor house and former prep school which, during the War, had served as a base for Canadian service-men. The parking station for the tank is still visible near the lodge house.
In 2010, Ovingdean Hall was sold to an international school, and the monies raised used to set up a Foundation for deaf children. Through the Foundation, we aim to build on the legacy of Ovingdean Hall School, supporting education projects for deaf children and young people.